We provide service to others, promote integrity, and advance world understanding, goodwill, and peace through our fellowship of business, professional and community leaders.
Fast Facts About Rotary International:
- Established in 1905 by Paul Harris, an attorney in Chicago who wanted to recapture the same friendly spirit he felt in the small towns of his youth in a professional club.
- The name “Rotary” came from the early practice of “rotating meetings” among members’ offices.
- The Rotary wheel symbolizes civilization and movement.
- There are more than 1.2 million members worldwide with over 34,000 clubs representing over 200 countries.
- Women first permitted to join Rotary in 1987; now represent 22% of membership in North America (15% worldwide).
- PolioPlus is Rotary’s largest effort towards global eradication of polio.