We provide service to others, promote integrity, and advance world understanding, goodwill, and peace through our fellowship of business, professional and community leaders.
Fast Facts About Rotary International
- Created in 1905 by Paul Harris, an attorney in Chicago who wanted to recapture the same friendly spirit he felt in the small towns of his youth in a professional club
- The name “Rotary” came from the early practice of “rotating meetings” among members’ offices
- The Rotary wheel symbolizes civilization and movement
- There are 1.2 million members, over 34000 clubs worldwide representing over 200 counties
- Women first permitted to join Rotary in 1987 and now represent 22% of membership in North America (15% worldwide)
- PolioPlus is Rotary’s largest effort towards global eradication of polio